Thursday, March 24, 2011

Press Start

Anyone else remember wondering why the pause button was called Start? I mean, you used the pause button all the time. And what the hell was Select anyway? Well, it is a long celebrated tradition to press the Start button to go into the main menu of a game. Creepy enough, I cannot find any information on it. I will keep looking, but I got nothing. However, the Start button just happens to be the button to start the game. Live with it. Logic assumes: in the interest that the Start button actually be worth making in the first place was to let it be the pause button too. Now, Ninteno seems to be trying to break that by making the 1+2 or Plus+Minus button combo count as the start button for many games. Select is a strange one though. In the early NES, the only way to navigate the main menu was to press the Select button.
Today, I want to talk about Scott Pilgrim: The Game. It is a download title that happens to be a throwback game in 16-bit. Hell, it is even an old genre from the SNES days: the beat-em-up. Complete with the obnoxious elevator gauntlet (that I mentioned earlier), endless enemies that just will not die, and the highly repetitive but irritating bosses. It basically plays like the old Turtles in Time. They even spiced it up with a slight RPG system. You can buy stat upgrades, but they are expensive and time consuming to grind for. So, of course I grinded for them. The killer funny part is the 8-bit chiptune music. I do not mind hipsters getting into retrogaming if it means more games like Scott Pilgrim. I said it when Mega Man 9 was announced: this is going to mean more old-school games. Even if Sonic the Hedgehog 4 failed ro live up to the boasts of Sonic Team, I am OK with the attempt. I played what they released so far and I would not mind seeing more of it. Playing games that have existed for 15-20 years is great, but I need a new spice to my old-school games. Honestly, if you have  not seen Scott Pilgrim: The Game or Mega Man 9 and you remember old-school gaming, get into the retro thing for a little bit. You will thank me to dust off those old consoles.

GAMING MUSIC:
I do not know if you guys knew this, but I listen to the Song of the post while writing it. It sets the mood for what I want to say. This choice I am presenting to y'all is the Brawl version of King Dedede's theme. I have this one play every time I play the Halberd stage, because dammit, it gets the group focused. King Dedede is my favorite Kirby character, because he is edgy, he the is villain, he is the nemesis, and he is the anti-hero. Rolled into a platformer obviously suited for new gamers and younger gamers, I can still celebrate Kirby games. I am so happy that Nintendo obviously celebrated Kirby games as well. The franchise gets to sit among the king, the hardcore, and the obscure, and beat the hell out of them. Kirby gets to be redeemed as a status in gaming thanks to Super Smash Bros. and I would like it if you also recognized that.

31 comments:

  1. Who else had Super Smash Bros. ruin Luigi and Yoshi for them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol'd at the start story and the mario picture xD
    nice and happy music!
    Still nothing beats the original SSB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never was one for fighting games, yet I still own and played all 3 smash bros games.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post. looking forward to reading your next one

    ReplyDelete
  5. good point about the start button, I guess they are just making the most out of limited buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahahhaa frustration at video games

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those retro games weren't a joke, they often separated the men from the babies and did it with an irritating 'Game Over'.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HEY how good are you at brawl? I use ROB as main and I'm bomb! jk but im pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah select and start are a lot more confusing than they need to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a game Super Smash Bros is, maybe the best multi player game ever

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the Teken series better, but mario is classic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'll have to check out the scott pilgrim game. big fan of retro gaming. does that make me a hipster? dug the song too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not really a fan of Nintendo anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see nothing wrong with the DS in the first pic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The mario picture was hilarious. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. a literal shit ton of my friends have this game and love it but ive some how eluded it

    ReplyDelete
  17. pretty cool music .. takes me back to the old days haha

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hhaha love that pic! Check out my new blog, puzzledyet.blogspot.com, if you haven't yet!

    ReplyDelete
  19. yeah i was always down for select, but i never liked that the start button was labeled start, when it usually stops whats happening -___-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, but it does start the game again, perhaps Start/Stop was too tedious to print on controllers.

      Delete

I love you!