Sunday, March 13, 2011

You say piracy, I say homebrew.

Disclaimer: Yargh! Pirates be bad, me mateys. Be sure to keep a wethered eye out fer them scoundrels. Never tary into pirate behavior and commit crimes of piracy, lest the gallows be for ye!

So, as video game technology gets closer and closer to the standards of a PC, we see shared features. An advent of these shared features is the ease of recoding the complicated firmwares to play whatever "back-ups." That excuse loses weight as the homebrew community managed to use the Jailbreak and then softmod the OFW to be a CFW. This means you can play back-ups on your PS3! Oh my God! Wait, aren't games ranging between 3-50 gigabytess? Only half of them really work so it takes forever to find something cool? The games are Blu-Ray anyway and that means they're scratch-proof? Come on, don't let us fool you. If you want to keep up to date, read into this stuff, it's interesting.

I do not condone or condemn piracy, as it is not my prerogative and I will not disclose whether I participate (yeah, right). However, I do not want more pirates out there. Ease of piracy means increasing numbers. Increasing numbers means the companies fight back. Also, you want your favorite game to have a sequel, right? They only do that if there is money. Even though we put the info out there, because it would be hypocritical if we do not,  but we definitely do not need more pirates running about.

That said. What about you that are vehemently against piracy? Not my problem, pay for your games. However, if I will keep my mouth shut if you also stop renting, selling, and buying used games. That is the same thing as pirating a copy. What of that do the developers see?

The funny thing about piracy is that Nintendo is the only company new to that game. However, who blames them? They were a generation behind on CD's, which is not a complaint. I do like cartridges more. Sony has been handling piracy with the PSP for years and held off the PS3 piracy for a very long time. Microsoft handled piracy well, considering it is used to the PC issues. The Nintendo Wii' System Menu was cracked in no time as soon as the buffer overload was figured out in the Twilight Princess save file. Now, every new System Menu update attempts to wipe out the Homebrew Channel and the exploits, but it usually takes Bushing and Team Twiizers roughly 6-12 hours to get the new System Menu cracked. We have definitely come a long way from GameBoy Advance flashcarts and the Sega Dreamcast bootdisc.

GAMING MUSIC
A great way to lead into this psycho adventure. Easily containing the most anti-climactic end-boss ever. However, the quirky humor, rugged gameplay, and amusing cooperative make things worth blowing away some hours. New game+ merited some replay, but you really have to like the environment and World of Warcraft elements, which is admittedly weird for an FPS. This game was worth it. Get it cheap now.

40 comments:

  1. so true! piracy is modern day age and so common! i <3 it

    ReplyDelete
  2. arghhhhh i hate pirates, they are ruining pc gaming for all of us :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make good points, nice article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i guess theres no getting away from them pirates

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh borderlands its a good game but they lacked so much to improve it like more inventory space and better multiplayer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use homebrew for older games I already own so I do not have to mess with my NES.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Borderlands is an awesome game!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's tough, both for developers and customers in the current economic climate. People have their own estimates for what constitutes as worth their money. I think a good comparison is how much people are very willing to pay at the cinema for 2 hours of entertainment, or buying a dvd or whatever it is. A game might provide 4 times the entertainment for only double the cost.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The simple fact of the matter though is that most people don't know how to crack their systems. Even provided with the information they don't know how to process it all. Furthermore, the average Joe doesn't know how to maintain a hacked/modded console. It will decay into worthlessness anyway. My mom's Wii won't even load the HBC anymore. My brother's friend accidentally updated his PSP to OFW. It's tough work being your family's tech guy, because your family can get under your skin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everyone is guilty of piracy these days

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definetly agree with Ian, people are trying to judge whether games are worth their money, at the developers expense. Sometimes its for some shitty game, but other times its for a good dev, who puts out good games, and supports the community. Thats when pirating turns into what the media views it as.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also like to say that if I download a game. If I like it, I recommend it. I've done that all my life, so my friends listen to me sometimes. I've made developers money just convincing friends to pick up certain games. If I REALLY like the game, I buy it. I've been doing that too. I paid for the vast majority of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rising prices are caused by pirating. Sadly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the prices of games are too high to be able to buy all the games that you want. time to time you just have to check it from the "download side"

    ReplyDelete
  15. piracy is common these days, everyone knows that
    I'm Following you ;)
    check out my blog: johnappsie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pirating IS damaging the games industry but there are so many good games out there and I need to play them all.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Piracy is a bad thing. My step brother is trying extremely hard to get into the video game industry. But, he pirates games to his computer. Makes absolutely no sense. Hes trying to destroy the business he wants to get into. Good post though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only good things about pirates: Rum.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah, the Dreamcast...that takes me back.

    ...Now I feel old.

    ReplyDelete
  20. im feeling old too ;(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Most people sadly wouldn't know Cage the Elephant if it wasn't for borderlands. But as a person trying to develop his own game I definitely am against piracy. Unless the corporation is run by dicks like Activision.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I used to pirate games to test them out and if i liked it i bought it. I did it with crysis and many other games. Its good to support the developers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not much of a gamer but i certainly download a lot of music. I agree if you like the developer, or artist its worth it to support them in stores! Great blog...following

    ReplyDelete
  24. I might look into buying a game, but seeing as prices range from $5 to $60 for pretty much any game, I'd like to be able to test it out before committing to it. If the game doesn't offer a demo of some sort, I often turn to piracy (only to delete it after a couple of hours or end up buying it if I enjoyed it) Although most of the time I'd only buy it for the multiplayer experience it offers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The thing I find annoying is people that relate piracy to stealing. They do understand that stealing is something when you don't give it back and piracy is just making a copy of something.

    ReplyDelete
  26. You wouldn't download a bear, would you?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I say just buy your games. if you didn't pay for it then you didn't deserve it

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always buy my video games these days. Such a smoother process and eliminates the fear of being sued! Also helps the industry no end.

    I also agree on the comparison of piracy to stealing as completely inaccurate. When you steal something you don't make an exact copy of it and leave the original!

    ReplyDelete
  29. yeah right i don't trust anything that isnt company made outta fear of viruses and stuff

    ReplyDelete
  30. you made very solid points to back up your info on piracy throughout. piracy IS modern.

    ReplyDelete
  31. If I were to pirate (...) it would likely only be for out-dated games that would have to be bought secondhand anyway. It would be easier on my conscience, and on my terribly inefficient laptop.

    ReplyDelete

I love you!