Thursday, March 10, 2011

Launch Post

Hello world!

Well, I'm new to this world of blogging. I just finished college and the world is fresh to me. Beyond that, I have video games to play and things to say.

Expect a variety of opinions and experiences in my life as a gamer. From the past, present, and future!

Just picked up Pokémon Black Version and boy am I excited. I pulled about 24 hours and have only five Badges. So far, it is shaping up to be a strong installment. Of course, the developers could not be bothered to change the admittedly stilted plot structure and there is still only one region. Eight Gyms, the Elite Five [sic], and a gang of "evil" trainers still stand in your way to your destiny as the ultimate trainer just another meta-gamer (or if you happen to be a teenage girl, more cute Pokémon!). The PETA twist is definitely a fun element. However, don't get me wrong, they did make some great changes. Between reusable TM's, the ability to "register" 25 commands to a button, quirky animations, easier ways to manage the invisible stats (for us competitive players), and new multiplayer features I'm just tickled pink and can safely say that this puts Gen 5 ahead of Gen 3 and Gen 4. It has charm, but let's be fair, it will not defeat nostalgia. Beyond the new 150 Pokémon and some new stuff, they really failed to do any groundbreaking changes to the core mechanic and that is somewhat disappointing. It barely feels like its own Gen, despite being a stronger set than Gen 4's releases.

I'll admit, there is a little shame in playing this seemingly innocent kid's game. However, are you really going to hate me for embracing a piece of my childhood? Besides, it gets me off World of Warcraft, prevents me from dropping larger sums of money on console games, and allows me to interact with my horribly Poké-obsessed 13 year-old sister. Our mother actually knitted her a homemade Oshawott, that she carries everywhere.

29 comments:

  1. Welcome also, I just started yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a whole lot of shame in that, I think. Welcome to the blogosphere, and keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the blogging. I am kinda jealous that you have Pokemon Black. I've been thinking of getting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck with your new blog, also nice review, I look forward to reading more

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing wrong with playing a game you enjoy.
    Good luck with the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No shame in admitting that u play a "childish game". I am a bit of gamer too and I know how it is when u get drown in :).. welcome

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted pokemon black D: good luck :<

    ReplyDelete
  8. welcome to blogging catch 'em all +followed

    ReplyDelete
  9. IMO, I like the birds eye view of Pokemon better. Im not a fan of the 3d perspective of the new Black and White :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be informative. And they will come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wellcome to Blogspot , i wish you the best luck !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome to Blogspot. It's a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's too many pokemons now... I'm not even trying... ú_u

    Cool blog, I'm following.

    Also, check out ours, we do reviews about music and bands and stuff...

    nimbuzzreviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also started playing Pokemon Black. I'm loving the 3D graphics and the double battles. The last one I played was Silver onde de Gameboy so this is pretty new to me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with that about B/W hardly feel their own new gen. It seems like we are playing Diamond and Pearl v4 (v2 being Platinum, v3 being HG/SS). I think they should have waited for the 3DS.

    BTW, a homemade oshawott? Must see!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pokemon is hella fun! I remember playing the games all the time as a kid. I'm actually interested in trying out Black version

    ReplyDelete
  17. Homemade Oshawott photo pending. Look forward to it in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. pokemon brings back memories from my youth:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so jealous, I would love to play pokemon black. just finished fire red and emerald once again :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. i got pokemon white
    white forest>>black city

    ReplyDelete
  21. I specifically like the last paragraph, totally feel the same way :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. sad to say there getting dull with names for these pokemon let alone designs some of the damn pokemon are clear knockoffs and originality of the story isn't one to save it

    ReplyDelete
  23. This post was super effective!
    Looking forward to more.
    Followed!

    ReplyDelete

I love you!