Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What does the scouter say about his follow count?

It's over 100. That's pretty cool. I guess I can keep writing.

So, I went with my girlfriend to a hip bar place. I live in a college town that is even famous for its bad music and awesome pizza. There has always been a bit of a nerd culture here. It is even a unique one, I feel. I have yet to meet people like native Gainesville folk. Then once in a while, you get the funny stoner UF students. That said and done, it was never the prevailing thing to be a nerd. You did not brag about video games unless you did not mind being seen as that weird gamer kid. However, I have been in Germany and have not been out much, so I did not think about it. I wore a skull cap with a mushroom on it, a Brütal Legend t-shirt, and such. Everyone wanted to talk to me. Even one loser who tagged along with my girlfriend pulled out a Nintendo DS. I mean, I did the geek gamer thing pretty hard in college, but I did not avoid human interaction for it. When did it become the in-thing to like video games?

I asked my brother about it. He is in high school and I figured he must not have many friends. I was right. He says all the "cool" kids talk about sex and drinking. That sounds like high school. What is up with our generation? Also, when did Adult Swim start at 9 PM EST?  Sometimes I miss when scheduling changes are made in programming I like.

I still feel like I am step ahead though. I hack my consoles and still remember playing the retro games. You know, before they were retro. Who else remembers being impressed by graphics in Donkey Kong Country and Mortal Kombat. Super Mario 64 did impress people at one point.

Sorry I do not have much to write, I am still working off last night.

GAMING MUSIC
In the wonderfully innocent Yoshi's Island game, you play as a young tribe of Yoshis to save Baby Mario from the wretches of Kamek and save Luigi from Bowser. The game offered deliciously polished cuteness delivered in pseudo-creepy ways. There was that whole Touch Fuzzy thing, after all. That has got to be cocaine. And if there is something to learn from Yoshi: cocaine is a hell of a drug. The apex of this fun and fancy free adventure into Mary Poppins from hell leads into a duel with an enlarged baby Bowser and this gut-wrenchingly hardcore rock song starts (that's right, in 16-bit).

27 comments:

  1. Man i love your blog. Always something interesting. I feel like going and playing Yoshi Island >.>

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're spot on about being impressed with graphics back in the day. When I look back at some of the games I was impressed by graphically.... woooo.

    I swear they looked just like Crysis to me back then.

    Nowadays, playing games doesn't make you a nerd, look at all the "bro's" who play Call of Duty. It's a fairly normal thing people do now, so long as you don't make it all you're about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, keep it up. Following!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i loved yoshis island. i remember playing it at toys r' us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thumbs up. Video Game Nerd from the start here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yoshis Island is my favourite game on the Snes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yoshis Island was great but never really reached Super Mario World. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. always a great read man, actually one of the blogs i fully read every day when you post news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the last picture and love the soundtrack^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember drooling over DK country graphics too, I remember my biggest awe moment was when crash bandicoot came out on PS, though there'd be nothing better....oh how wrong I was.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ITS OVER NINE.... oh only 100?
    Well Ill help you here youve got 130! +follower! Level UP!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Also, when did Adult Swim start at 9 PM EST?"

    It's a pretty recent change.


    "Who else remembers being impressed by graphics in Donkey Kong Country and Mortal Kombat."

    -raises hand-

    ReplyDelete
  13. well didn't hear of it yet sounds good

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on getting over 100 followers! Really enjoy reading your posts.

    Keep 'em coming! Will follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. honesty I did not care much for yoshi's island, but it was a fun game initially.

    ReplyDelete
  16. glad i found your blog i like that soundtrack!

    if you like games check my blog out at
    http://trapper02.blogspot.com/

    i read blogs daily!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loled at the cocaine comment, interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah, i miss my old N64 and the greatness that I had as a young kid

    ReplyDelete
  19. yoshi's island!? dude! you remind me of my early years...nostalgiaaaa....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yoshi Island is one of my favorite games of all time! (too bad the sequel wasn't that great). Fuzzy level was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. lol! Love your posts, and yeah at times I feel left behind in culture, kids are getting too advanced with technology!!

    I take care of kids and I saw one of them playing with an ipad...AN iPAD!! he was all like "Oh my mom let me borrow it."

    T.T

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha, the last picture was great!

    ReplyDelete

I love you!