Monday, April 4, 2011

Sweet Home Alabama

Just got a new car and road-tripped to Alabama for a friend. That was weird. They really like that Lynyrd Skynyrd song up there. I heard it five times a day. I did not get much gaming in though. These were not your gamer types, that is for sure. I did see one N64, crammed in a kid's closet. It had a neglected copy of Super Mario 64 in it.

Apparently, since the last time I played StarCraft 2, season 2 started. I had to re-rank. Not that it mattered much, I was waiting for the new season to play ranked matches. What I did not consider, however, is that the other players all have practice from season 1. The beginning of season 2 is definitely a very different environment and mood than that of season 1. People know how to play now and the assholes of gaming made their way in. Perhaps, I should have played some more in season 1, especially knowing I was going to be rusty when season 2 kicked up. Does this mean season 2 is a toss up? Who cares? I do not need to win.

It is fun to say I made it to Platinum in the 4v4 team league though. Too bad random teams are too unreliable to think I could pull off Diamond. My brother needs to get his butt un-grounded so we can 2v2 premade these suckers. He is even rustier than I am. We will have to make sure to acknowledge that we will suck. It is just how it is. Perhaps, we will have coordinated better by the next expansion, which is not set for release this year.

My guilty pleasure: achievements. It is easy to get sucked into the harrowing achievements, but it sure kills time. I stated back when achievements were starting on the 360 that I was displease when them. Truth is, I still am.  Most games feel insulting when they tack on superfluous junk to do. However, StarCraft 2 is well suited for achievements, I think. Most of them are expectedly gimmicky, but it is nice to slowly work toward the ones that ask you to win 1000 times--as each race option, including Random. At least, unlike World of Warcraft, where the achievement score is worthless and people end up just showing off their Feats of Strength (which signify simply that they were there when it happened), SC2 emphasizes the score a bit more. I feel like I am building up that score. There is no reason; I have the time.

GAMING MUSIC:
Themed theme, much? I just find this tune fun to have on in the background once in a while. Anyone else hear SCV's mining Minerals when this starts?

10 comments:

  1. Never been that big of a fan of Starcraft. Kinda wanted to try it
    Glad I still have this blog on my morning coffee. Please check out mine?
    http://clearthepit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Home Alabama is a classic but even classics will melt your brain, when you hear them five times a day. Never got around playing SC becouse of the skill level. Its mad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah i'm still trying to get all the achievements for the campaign. i think its fun, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My music of the post could have been the Sweet Home Alabama cover in SC2, but that would have been too tacky.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, achievements, the bane of my free time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Song is sweet! Nice blog btw! Followed :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A mate of mine is addicted to getting achievement points, most of the time its not an issue but when we are doing co-op and we have to keep redoing sections cos he needs to get them, it tends to get a bit tiring

    ReplyDelete

I love you!