Friday, March 11, 2011

Writer's Block

Well, I am an amateur poet. And. Well, I cannot think of anything poetic to write. How lame is that? My artistry is halted by my own self-defeating hedonism. My only creative outlets are easily drowned out by this new copy of Pokémon and old episodes of Daria I downloaded. Maybe... Video games and the internet are what is destroying my ability to appropriately contribute to humanity by any means.

...

Moment of clarity over. I guess I will now muse about something relevant.

As mentioned before, I play World of Warcraft occasionally. In fact, it would be fair to say I co-own a guild of local friends. Too bad, it is collapsing because we did not get off our lazy butts and raid sooner. Though, until I ran out of game time I was legitimately busy. Now I am just broke and told my best buddy to enjoy the reigns for a bit. I have no doubt that he will appropriately destroy everything I worked towards with guild relations. Honestly? I am fine with that. The problem with WoW is that I cannot seem to stay hooked like 99% of the player-base (The opinions expressed by my clearly professional research on the matter are just that. Opinions.). I mean, sure I play pretty hardcore for a couple months and then I find something more interesting. Cataclysm is so nice too. However, the feeling that they are ruining the paradigm by stripping out every vestige of accomplishment by handing out everything is unshakeable. Unless, of course, you count the absurdly long-winded grind for achievements and more gear. Though I noticed something important: WoW, itself, is not the perceived addictive digital crack so much as the hunt for better gear. Any captivating MMORPG can be guilty of this form of personal achievement which has been known to shake real drug addictions. That is the real glory of Blizzard. WoW is often associated with this model, because hell, they did it right. So, why isn't it illegal yet?

Why am I supposedly immune? I am a gamer. In reality, it is just another game by most regards. Why do I spend more collective time on it than any other single game? There's more to do and in the past, I played with a (now ex) girlfriend. Also, believe it or not, it's cheaper than other video games. The delicious irony is enough to cause an ulcerous death, considering most people avoid it as a money sink. Think of it this way, after buying the right to play the game and its subsequent expansions, you only spend $15 a month to play. I say "only" because how much would you spend on other video games to compensate for the same amount of play time? The beauty is that you can stop paying the monthly fee any time and there is no penalty. Want to pick it up later? Just shell out the cash. It is that easy.

So why have I stopped playing WoW now? It's easy, I have new video games. Beyond that, I just loaded CFW 3.55 on my PS3 and that opens a whole new world of possibilities, but that is our little secret. It certainly helps to alleviate the grief of the crack in my Darth Vader PSP2000's screen. Though to be fair, if I had cash, I would just buy a spare parts PSP2000 on eBay to replace the screen. It is amazing what you can accomplish with broken stuff and some simple tools (in fact, isn't that the whole premise of SWAT Kats?)

Remember kids, You do not win World of Warcraft, World of Warcraft wins you.


GAMING MUSIC
As a sign out, I decided I will probably showcase gaming music that has stood out to me at one point or another. Today's lucky mention is:
As heard briefly in a latter part of the oh so crude Conker's Bad Fur Day. Seriously, anyone remember this game? Infamous for being one of the very few if not only Mature rated games on the Nintendo 64 and quickly doomed to the $5 bin at Wal-marts everywhere for it. BFD is remarkable in the sense that this game was so radically different than other titles in the Conker line as well as any other game, period. Sex, violence, literal toilet humor, and over the top pop culture references managed this game a strong enough fanbase to warrant a censored remake for the Xbox. That's right, it was too hardcore for the Xbox. Drink that in. Yay for cult smash hits, I suppose. This song receives special mention for being a video game track that actually made it into my dance playlist. What is up with that?

23 comments:

  1. Good read, mind you, if it's gaming blogs of any kind, i'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonna have to nab a copy of Bad Fur Day sometime. Dust off the old '64. Literally, that thing is hella dusty.

    Also, do come away from WoW. When you look back in 10, 15 years from now, was any of that really an achievement?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look back on Shining Force and wonder why I thought beating it was an achievement. It doesn't undermine the fun I had and the sheer amount of time I put into it. In the grand scheme of things, it's just a video game. Just like any other video game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. post more :) need something to read, something new

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats is one of the best blogs ive seen in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Memories, oh the memories. I couldn't keep my hands off of the n64.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never played Conker's game on the n64, but I remember watching Swat Kats

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woah, I had totally forgot about BFD....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to write all the time myself and yes, playing video games and watching tv will kill your writing spirit. My advice is go do something you never normally do, for me that would be to play a sport I never have, or go for a long walk, go have a drink somewhere I've never been before.

    Experiencing new things, gives you new things to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. CBFD is still one of my favourite games. And I love that song!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed playing conkers at a friends, but never played it myself. Should look into emulating it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hated conker's bad fur day. ugh!

    But I love game blogs. You will like mine too! FOllowed you :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg i remember this game it was so awesome shame i never got that far

    ReplyDelete
  14. You should meet my fiance. She will go on huge streaks of writing and then suddenly crash and not be able to write anything.

    ReplyDelete
  15. great post,looking forward to reading more stuff from you

    ReplyDelete
  16. Creativity is hard to come by specially for me

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVED CONKERS BAD FUR DAY I LOVE YOU :D!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad to hear WoW doesn't have a hold on you. I quit last year after getting a character to level 80, and finding out I couldn't continue to enjoy the story I had been enjoying from questing. Before I could further the story, you have to run dungeons and gradually increase your gear. It completely killed any interest I had in the game by removing me from immersion, and making me grind.

    ReplyDelete

I love you!